BBNaija Cross Okonkwo has been facing backlash on social media over his inability to speak his Igbo native language.
Cross who’s real name is Ikechukwu Sunday Okonkwo, is of the #BBNaija Season 6 finalists and he was recently interviewed by BBC Igbo.
During the Interview, the Reality TV Star was asked to tell the meaning of his name “Cross” and if it’s a name given to him by his parents.
Responding, he said the name was indeed, given to him by his parents but it was after he have grew up and not by birth. He noted that the name simply means, he will crossover whenever “obstacles” comes his way.
Cross, who started the interview by greeting Igbo people with the popular Igbo greeting, that goes like; Ndigbo Kwenu, Ndigbo Kwenu, Ndigbo Kwezue nu ooo – went ahead to plead with Igbo people that he is very sorry that his Igbo isn’t 100% correct but he will try his best to speak the little he knows.
Cross said, he does understand Igbo language but it’s always difficult for him to speak fluently.
Irked by the interview and Cross inability to speak Igbo fluently, Igbo people on social media, descended on him with different reactions and comments. Some said he should be ashamed of himself – the way he is speaking Igbo, his native language.
Others are of the opinion that Ndigbo who born and raised their kids outside Nigeria should try very hard to ensure their kids learn Igbo language, so to not “disgrace” themselves in the public.
Watch the video below
Social Media users reactions.
While Cross faces backlash over his inability to speak his native language, we have dig out some facts about the Anambra born entrepreneur and #BBNaija Season 6 finalist.
Facts About Cross
- His real name is – Cross Ikechukwu Sunday Okonkwo.
- Cross is one of the #BBNaija Season 6 Finalists
- Cross hails from Oba Uke in Idemili North Local Government Area, Anambra State.
- He was born in 1991 and is currently 30 years old (2021).
- Cross is a serial entrepreneur and a business man. He is the owner of Cross View hotel in Owerri, Imo state.
- He also co-owns a restaurant in Abuja and is an owner of a fitness nutrition business called ‘Cross Fitness Nutrition’.
- Cross is in to car dealerships and importation but says he stopped the business after his found out with his business partner.
- Cross is a fitness enthusiast and entrepreneur.
- Cross father was a billionaire business man known as Ezego. However, his name is Mr Christopher Ikechukwu Okonkwo from Oba Uke in Anambra state.
- Cross played professional football in the UK but his career was affected by knee injuries. He is a good swimmer and is allergic to fish.
- Cross Girlfriend? Good news! He said he is currently Single
What do you think about Cross inability to speak Igbo fluently?