Nicotine is a highly addictive substance that can be found in tobacco products such as cigarettes and cigars. Nicotine addiction can lead to various health problems, including stroke, lung cancer and heart disease. If you are a smoker, nicotine detox might be a necessary option for you.
Here are four reasons why nicotine detox is important and the key benefits that it can provide.
1. Nicotine detox can help you take the initial steps to quitting.
Disclaimer: Opting for a detox program does not necessarily imply that you are giving up smoking outright.
But instead, choosing to try a detox program can help you take the first steps towards breaking the addiction to nicotine. It can effectively help you cleanse your body of nicotine-related toxins. By doing so, you can reduce your nicotine cravings and it can be easier for you to quit smoking or using other nicotine products, if you wish to.
2. Nicotine detox can help you improve your health and well-being.
NIcotine addiction damages the body in several ways, but with effective detox programs or detox kits you can experience a significant boost to your overall health. Once you begin with the detoxification, your body will also begin to heal itself, and you may see improvement in your health within a few days.
Research indicates that in as little as 20 minutes after refraining from tobacco consumption, both your heart rate and your blood pressure decrease. Within 12 hours, the carbon monoxide in your blood drops to normal, and within two weeks to three months, your circulation and lung function can improve significantly.
3. Nicotine detox can help you get better sleep.
It is widely known that Nicotine can disrupt sleeping patterns, as it is a stimulant that can interfere with the production of melatonin which is a hormone that regulates sleep. This is the reason why it is harder to fall asleep and stay asleep and it may lead to daytime fatigue. When you start using detox kits or enroll yourself in a detox program, you may find peace in your sleep and wake up feeling more rested.
4. Nicotine detox can help you get some financial benefits
The fact that nicotine addiction can be expensive is well-established. Depending on where you live, a pack of cigarettes can cost anywhere from $5 to $15 or sometimes more. Think about it, if you smoke a pack a day, that can add up to hundreds or maybe even thousands of dollars a year.
Incorporating detox kits in your routine can result in substantial savings when compared to purchasing cigarette packs regularly.
Nicotine detox can be challenging, but there are resources available to help. Lately, there has been a considerable number of detox programs and kits specifically designed to assist smokers in eliminating the toxins they acquire through smoking. When you have completed a detox program and decided that you would like to quit for good, then there are a lot of ways to do so. This includes nicotine replacement therapy, counseling and support groups which are all deemed effective options for quitting. Here are some tips to help you get started with nicotine detox:
- Snack on fruits and vegetables: Whenever you experience nicotine cravings, distract yourself with a small portion of fruits or vegetables and munch on those instead.
- Set a date: You might want to choose a specific date to begin and be strict about it. This process will give you enough time to mentally prepare for quitting.
- Identify your triggers: Identify the situations or the activities that make you crave nicotine. This could help you avoid these triggers or find alternative ways to cope with them.
- Use nicotine replacement therapy: It is proven effective that nicotine replacement therapy can help reduce withdrawal symptoms and cravings. Anything from nicotine gum, patches and lozenges are effective options.
- Seek support: It is important to turn to people who support you in your decision to quit or, if not fully quit, then to do something about your nicotine addiction. Talk to friends and family members about your decision. Join support groups with like-minded people or seek counseling to help you stay motivated and on track.
Exploring Medications for Smoking Cessation
In case detox kits and replacement therapies have not been effective for you, but you are still determined to find ways to quit smoking, there are medications approved by the FDA for smoking cessation, such as Zyban and Chantix. While Zyban is an antidepressant, Chantix blocks nicotine’s effects in the brain and helps to alleviate withdrawal symptoms, making it easier for the user to quit smoking and maintain abstinence over the long term.
It is a changeling process to overcome nicotine addiction, but with the appropriate assistance, it is achievable.