- By Hammed .A. Akande
In this article, I will explain the step-by-step process of applying for Mastercard Scholarship at Carnegie Mellon University and how to get test waivers.
Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) is one of the partner schools of Mastercard Foundation (MCF).
Mastercard Foundation had few days ago, announced a new $275.7 Million partnership with Carnegie Mellon University to provide scholarships for 300 students from Africa.
The scholarship is targeted at BSc and MSc African students. Apply here for: mastercardfdn.org
How To Qualify
To be considered for this scholarship, you must have:
- “good” CGPA (good enough to gain you admission to CMU),
- Leadership Potential,
- Commitment to giving back (able to show proof of points 2 and 3 in your application)
How to apply
1. Submit an online application for admission (for now, only MSc programs are eligible, no PhD). >> Apply Here
The application opens on October 1. Some of their programs include- Computer & Electrical Engineering & Artificial Intelligence.
For your admission application, you would need to upload- Unofficial transcript, SOP, CV, reference contact, and passport.
2. Write your competency test and submit your application- ideally, CMU requires GRE and IELTS. Last year, CMU waived GRE due to the pandemic.
While we are not sure if it will be waived this year, if you submit your application on or before December 15, CMU-Africa will cover the cost of these tests. Also, NO APPLICATION FEE FOR THEIR MSc PROGRAMS.
N.B- If you ever need to pay any fee, please contact the Mastercard office at CMU-Africa; they will ideally cover the cost for you.
3. Once you submit your application (if you’ve not done so before), email the Mastercard office and let them know you are interested in applying and have submitted your application to CMU by clicking here: africa.engineering.cmu.edu
They will guide you accordingly and let you know if they need more documents from you.
N.B.- Only admitted students will be considered for the Mastercard scholarship.
Some Added Tips
When writing your essays, it will be important to demonstrate your leadership potential and commitment to giving back to your community.
- E.g., if you have served as the President of a CDS group (or any other leadership role), show them in your essays.
Let them know your role, how many people you have supported in that capacity, and your achievements. Also, you should demonstrate how you intend to give back.
- E.g., if you have a start-up that can solve a problem in Africa, explain how you are developing that and how the MSc program will help you achieve that dream.
If you have an NGO to solve a problem, relate that to how the MSc will help you (you gain your MSc, you use your knowledge to help your community through your organization- It’s a win-win).
Please feel free to drop any questions you may have here- I will try my best to answer all.
Authored by Hammed .A. Akande | Twitter/@drhammed