Fully-funded MSc Position at Trent University Canada – Suitable for students with background (&interest) in Biogeography, Spatial Analysis, Forestry, Wildlife, and related fields.
Trent University – is seeking for an energetic, dedicated individual to conduct biogeographic research on the conservation value of the Boreal Forest biome in North America, one of the last of the world’s large intact forest biomes.
The position is described as an exciting opportunity for a prospective student to engage with an interdisciplinary team helping to better understand and describe one of the world’s most unique and special biomes.
The successful M.Sc. student will enroll in the interdisciplinary Environmental & Life Sciences Graduate Program at Trent University in Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.
The successful candidate will work under the supervision of Dr. James Schaefer (Trent University) and Dr. Stephen Mayor (Ontario Ministry of Northern Development, Mines, Natural Resources & Forestry), in close collaboration with Dr. Jeff Wells (National Audubon Society).
- The goal of the project is to undertake conservation value accounting of the North American boreal forest – an evaluation the importance of this biome for various taxa, with a focus on mammals, trees, and insects.
- Using GIS, the student will assemble digitized range maps to estimate the proportion of the total range of each species in the biome, then apply relative abundance measures to estimate the numbers of individuals for each species in the boreal.
- The result will be a description of the conservation value and stewardship responsibility for each province and territory.
Approximately $19,477 per year for 2 years (which includes a Teaching Assistantship of $11,177 per year for 2 years)
Prospective student is to send an email letter describing “your interests” along with “your curriculum vitae” (CV) and an unofficial copy of your transcripts to Prof. James Schaefer, [email protected]
Applicants are expected to send their email applications before the start date of January or May 2022.
About Trent University
Trent University is a public liberal arts university in Peterborough, Ontario, with a satellite campus in Oshawa, which serves the Regional Municipality of Durham.
- Undergraduate Programs: Trent University Undergraduate Programs is a combination of different disciplines and courses. The programs cut across ‘arts, sciences and even professional programs. It also give students the opportunity to study Forensics and Philosophy, Business Admins and Media Studies.
- Click here for additional information about Trent University Undergraduate Programs
- Graduate Programs: Check out the graduate programs and possibilities from Trent – Here
Tuition and Fees
- Tuition levels are determined by the year a student first registered at Trent University.
- Residence fees, meal plans, books and special course related fees are in addition to the registration fees.
How much will it cost?
Well, see below chart for the breakdown of the Trent University Tuition and Fees – Specifically, for International Undergraduate Degree Program (2021/2022).
NB: These costs represent an eight-month budget. Your costs may differ depending on personal lifestyle, room choices, travel home, cell phone, new or used books, etc.