The Abia State House of Assembly presided over by the Speaker, Rt. Hon. Chinedum Enyinnaya Orji, considered H.A.B. 4: A Bill for a Law to Establish the Abia State University Teaching Hospital Management Board and for other Matters Connected therewith” in the Commitee of the Whole.
The Board has provision for the following positions:
1. Chairman of the Board.
2. Chief Medical Director
3. Director of the Teaching Hospital who shall be the Secretary.
4. One representative of the Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) who is not a Member of the Teaching staff of any University, and,
5. One representative of the Senate of a University with Medical practice
The Chairman and other officials of the Board shall hold Office for four years.
However, during the clause by clause considerations, some of the Lawmakers raised some salient issues of defect in the Bill which Prompted the House to set up an Adhoc Committee that woukd look into the Bill critically with a view to resolving the issues.
The Speaker, Rt Hon Chinedum Enyinnaya Orji, announced the Ad Hoc Committee Members constituted as follows:
1. Rt. Hon Chikwendu Kalu – Chairman.
2. Hon Barr. Emeka Okoroafor
3. Hon Barr Jerry Uzosike
4. Hon Barr. Thomas Nkoro
5. Hon Chijioke Chukwu
6. Hon Stanley Nwabuisi
7. Hon Barr. Okey Igwe, and,
8. Mr Otumchere who is to serve as Secretary of the Committee
The Ad Hoc Committee was given two weeks to do a detailed work and submit is report to the House.
The Speaker also acknowledged the Presence of Students from the Department of Political Science, Abia State University Uturu who came to watch the Plenary Proceedings of the House.
The House subsequently adjourned Plenary to resume to Wednesday, 18th March, 2020, by 10am.
Courtesy: Media Unit, Office of the Speaker, Abia State House of Assembly.